The National COVID-19 Coordination Commission has established a not-for-profit working group to provide recommendations to lessen the social and economic impacts of COVID-19 on the most vulnerable people in society and the sector that supports them.
The Charity, Philanthropy and Fundraising Advisory Group will be led by Chairperson Tony Stuart and supported by NCCC Commissioner Jane Halton AO PSM FAICD FIPPA and will:
- gather information from the sector on the impact COVID-19 is having on vulnerable Australians, and advise on how responses by the sector, business, the community and governments could be better tailored to meet their needs
- identify barriers to organisations continuing to deliver vital services to the community and working with the NCCC and governments to address these
- how vulnerable Australians can effectively participate in Australia’s economic recovery efforts
- identify opportunities for not-for-profits to contribute to the Australian community during the COVID-19 crisis and in the vital rebuilding phase to follow.
The NCCC will draw on the working group’s collective expertise and extensive not-for-profit to not-for-profit, not-for-profit to business and not-for-profit to government networks to develop actions and recommendations to help the sector and shape our advice to Government, Ms Halton said.
“We want to harness the expertise of the not-for-profit sector to make sure vulnerable Australians are supported as we move through the COVID-19 situation and into recovery,” Ms Halton said.
“Many not-for-profit groups have been affected by an increase in demand and a drop off in volunteer numbers. We need to find solutions to keep this important sector viable and get as many people as possible back to work and back volunteering in COVID safe workplaces.”
In addition to Commissioner Halton, the Charity, Philanthropy and Fundraising Advisory Group includes:
- Mr Tony Stuart (Chairperson) - CEO UNICEF Australia and Chair of Australian Charity and Not for Profit Commission Advisory Board
- Ms Judy Slatyer - CEO Australian Red Cross
- Mrs Nicola Forrest – Co-Chair Minderoo Foundation
- Ms Stephanie Harvey - CEO Community First Development
- Dr Martin Laverty – Adjunct Professor and Deputy Chair of the Australian Charities and Not-for-profits Commission Advisory Board.
- Dr Lisa O’Brien – CEO The Smith Family
- Ms Claire Robbs – CEO Life Without Barriers
The Commission is being led by Mr Neville Power and supported by an Executive Board of Directors drawn from across the business and not-for-profit sectors comprising: Mr Greg Combet AM, Ms Jane Halton AO PSM FAICD FIPPA, Mr Paul Little AO, Ms Catherine Tanna, and Mr David Thodey.
The Commission has two key roles: to help minimise and mitigate the impact of COVID-19 on jobs and businesses, and to facilitate the fastest recovery possible once the virus has passed.