At PM&C we believe that the journey is more important than the destination. Our pathways into the Department reflect this.
Our Graduate Program, is our flagship pathway, and is for graduates from a variety of academic disciplines and people with diverse experiences and backgrounds. The Graduate Program empowers graduates to discover, learn and grow through diverse opportunities.
Working across PM&C gives you the opportunity to develop a broad knowledge and understanding of the Government's priorities. Applications open each year from March to April, with selection occurring from May to July, and commencements in February the following year. To find out more about our program, visit the Graduate Careers page.
Pathways for university students and graduates include the:
- PM&C Vacation Employment Program – a paid internship occurring in the university summer holidays for a 10-12 week period. The Program is for students who have completed at least their first year of University and would like to gain practical hands on experience in the APS. Successful applicants are placed in an APS2 policy adviser role within Domestic Policy Group. Applications generally open in the second half of each year.
- Australian Government Digital ICT Graduate Program - a 12-month program, provided through the Digital Transformation Agency, to develop ICT graduates for a career within the APS. Visit the DTA website to find out more
- GradAccess - a centralised recruitment stream, provided through the Australian Public Service Commission, for graduates with disability into APS Graduate Programs. Visit the APSC website to find out more.
- Indigenous Graduate Pathway - a centralised recruitment stream, provided through the Australian Public Service Commission, for Indigenous Australian graduates into APS Graduate Programs. Visit the APSC website to find out more.
Other pathways include the:
- NextStep Traineeship Program – a 12-month program, administered by the Australian Public Service Commission, for people with disability into multiple APS agencies. Visit the NextStep website to find out more.
- Indigenous Australian Government Development Program – an 18-month program, administered by the Department of Employment, Skills, Small and Family Business, for Indigenous Australians into multiple APS agencies. Visit the IAGDP website to find out more.
- Indigenous Apprenticeship Program – a 12-month program, administered by the Department of Human Services, for Indigenous Australians into multiple APS agencies. Visit the IAP website to find out more.