We provide high quality advice and support to the Prime Minister, the Cabinet, Portfolio Ministers and Assistant Ministers to achieve a coordinated and innovative approach to the development and implementation of Government policies. We coordinate and develop policy across the Government in economic, domestic and international issues, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander affairs and public service stewardship.
We do this by:
- Providing well-founded advice to the Prime Minister, the Cabinet, Portfolio Ministers and Assistant Ministers on national and global challenges and matters at the forefront of Government.
- Coordinating policy across Government with a focus on practical changes to improve the lives of all Australians and effective implementation.
- Fostering a high performing public sector, working with the Australian Public Service Commission.
- Consulting across Government, the private sector, the not-for-profit sector and the community.
Our strategic priorities
We provide clear and persuasive advice to the Government on how it might best tackle the significant issues facing Australia. Our priorities include:
- Supporting the Prime Minister in his role as head of the Australian Government and the Cabinet and supporting our Portfolio Ministers.
- Providing advice on how to make Australia more prosperous, successful and improving its security on a global scale.
- Enhancing the ability of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people to improve their lives.
- The Department is also working with the Australian Public Service Commission, and all Australian Government agencies, to build a more inclusive and diverse public service. To drive this important work, the Secretary of the Department of Prime Minister and Cabinet chairs the Secretaries’ Equality and Diversity Council.
As well as the Independent National Security Legislation Monitor and the Office of the Counter Terrorism Coordinator, the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet operates in four main groups:
- Domestic Policy Group
- Indigenous Affairs Group
- National Security and International Policy Group
- Governance Group
- PM&C organisation chart, 24 August 2018 - PDF 78 KB
- PM&C organisation chart, 24 August 2018 - XLSX 68 KB
Our portfolio comprises one department of state, and a number of statutory agencies and Commonwealth companies and authorities under the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013 (PGPA Act).
- The Aboriginal Land Commissioner
- Australian National Audit Office
- Australian Public Service Commission
- Defence Force Remuneration Tribunal
- Digital Transformation Agency
- Office of the Registrar of Indigenous Corporations
- Office of National Assessments
- Office of the Official Secretary to the Governor-General
- Office of Township Leasing
- Remuneration Tribunal
- Workplace Gender Equality Agency
Commonwealth companies and authorities
- Aboriginal Hostels Ltd
- Anindilyakwa Land Council
- Australian Institute of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Studies
- Central Land Council
- Indigenous Business Australia
- Indigenous Land Corporation
- National Australia Day Council
- Northern Land Council
- Outback Stores Pty Ltd
- Tiwi Land Council
- Torres Strait Regional Authority
- Wreck Bay Aboriginal Community Council