Closing the Gap
Closing the Gap aims to improve the lives of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Australians.
In 2008, the Council of Australian Governments (COAG) set targets aimed at eliminating the gap in outcomes between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians.
The 2018 Closing the Gap report finds that for the first time since 2011, three out of the seven Closing the Gap targets are on track to be met.
Current Closing the Gap targets:
- Close the gap in life expectancy within a generation (by 2031)
- Halve the gap in mortality rates for Indigenous children under five within a decade (by 2018)
- 95 percent of all Indigenous four-year-olds enrolled in early childhood education (by 2025) – renewed target
- Close the gap between Indigenous and non-Indigenous school attendance within five years (by 2018)
- Halve the gap for Indigenous children in reading, writing and numeracy achievements within a decade (by 2018)
- Halve the gap for Indigenous Australians aged 20-24 in Year 12 attainment or equivalent attainment rates (by 2020)
- Halve the gap in employment outcomes between Indigenous and non-Indigenous Australians within a decade (by 2018).
In 2018 four of the seven targets will expire. Commonwealth, state and territory governments have agreed to work together with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander leaders, organisations, communities and families on a refreshed agenda and renewed targets.
It will be important to look at what has worked well over the last decade, and where more needs to be done. COAG leaders have welcomed a focus on a strength-based approach that supports Indigenous advancement. All levels of government will work with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in genuine partnership to develop renewed targets that are measurable and meaningful.
A Taskforce has been established in the Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet to progress this important work. Any enquires about the process can be sent to ClosingtheGapRefresh@pmc.gov.au. Further details and opportunities to contribute to the process will be made available soon.
Key Dates & Progress
Closing the Gap - Prime Minister's Report 2014
Programmes & Policies
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people are advised that this website may contain images and voices of deceased people.