Paragraph 11.1(ba) of the Legal Services Directions 2017, issued by the Attorney-General under the Judiciary Act 1903, requires Chief Executives of agencies subject to the Financial Management and Accountability Act 1997 to ensure that their agencies’ legal services purchasing, including expenditure, is appropriately recorded and monitored and that, by 30 October each year, the agency makes publicly available records of the legal services expenditure for the previous financial year.
This obligation was included in the Directions to enhance the transparency of legal services expenditure recording and reporting in line with the findings of the Australian National Audit Office in its report on Legal Services Arrangements in the Australian Public Service (Report No. 52 of 2004-05).
The Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet’s reports on legal services expenditure for past financial years, including external and internal expenditure, can be accessed below.
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2018-19 - DOCX 35 KB | PDF 19 KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2017-18 - DOCX 34KB | PDF 18 KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2016-17 - DOCX 27KB | PDF 24 KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2015-16 - DOCX 26KB | PDF 59 KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2014-15 – DOCX 20 KB | PDF 18 KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2013–14 – DOCX 21 KB | PDF 19 KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2012–13 – RTF 67 KB | PDF 37 KB
- Report on Legal Services Expenditure 2011–12 – RTF 55 KB | PDF 148 KB