Through a competitive process, Commonwealth entities can submit a project proposal to work with Data61 to improve the way that the Australian Government uses, re-uses and releases government-held data.
If you have a great idea for a project and would like the chance to work with Data61, please complete the application form available from the Data 61 website.
Approximately every six months, we will seek applications from interested parties for new projects. These applications will be reviewed and considered by a committee of Senior Executives from across the APS and Data61.
The timeframes below apply for project nominations for 2018.
- 1 March 2018 – call for project proposals
- 30 March 2018 – project proposals due
- Early May 2018 – project proponents notified
- May – June 2018 – successful projects work with Data61 to further scope their projects
- 1 July 2018 – successful projects commence.
- 3 September 2018 – call for project proposals
- 14 October 2018 – project proposals due
- Early December 2018 – project proponents notified
- December 2018 – January 2019 – successful projects work with Data61 to further scope their projects
- 1 February 2019 – successful projects commence.
Only Commonwealth entities may submit project proposals for this initiative at this time.
In developing project proposals, you must also engage with and obtain sponsorship for your project from your agency’s Data Champion. If your agency does not have a Data Champion then sponsorship at the Senior Executive level is sufficient. You can look up the Data Champion for your agency on data.gov.au.
Project proposals will be assessed using the following criteria:
- Project has the potential for significant positive impact for Australia.
- Project is consistent with National Innovation and Science Agenda and aligned with the Public Data Policy Statement, for example increasing the availability and/or innovative use of high value datasets or services.
- Project is beyond ‘business as usual’ activities for the submitting Commonwealth entity.
- Project is developed in consultation with Data61, in terms of project viability and developing scope.
- Project is consistent with Data61 research and strategic objectives.